Pulse audio?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Sep 29 16:40:47 UTC 2006

fre, 29 09 2006 kl. 21:55 +0530, skrev Rahul Sundaram:

> > RS> Packages really should be reviewed for functionality too.
> >
> > I think you'd better start doing some reviews, then.
> >
> >  - J<
>
> That just seems like a knee jerk reaction. When reviewing packages if
> the functionality offered by them isnt tested we would end up packages
> that follow naming and packaging guidelines perfectly but just wont
> work. I dont think just me participating in reviews is going to fix that.
>
> Adding a guideline for reviewers in general to also test functionality
> where applicable and encouraging that would be better.

To replace esd with pulseaudio I had to read the fine manual and it told
me that you have to replace /usr/bin/esd with the esdcomp file included
in the pulseaudio package.. after that it works for me, but it displays
so odd behaviour like high latency and sometimes it will queue up
"boink" sounds from my gnome-terminal and play them when it wants to
rather than the correct time making you go... WOW what was that??
because that time of often like 1 hour after you used the terminal.

Regardless I thought the general idea was to poke Monty untill code fell
out, at least that was the idea I got from watching his Xiph.org (should
have been: Sound on Linux and unstoppable killing machine) talk which
can be found in the Boston FUDCon torrent on torrent.fedoraproject.org
for those interested.

- David Nielsen