[Fedora-fonts-list] Font design

The reason I got the invitation to the list is because I had commented on the
lack of decent free handwriting/script fonts.  I have a particular favourite
closed-source one, and would like to see something similar in a free font.
The problem is that I haven't a clue how to start.  Does anyone know of a
reference page that would get a complete newbie to font design started?

Anne