[Fedora-fonts-list] Re: The Fedora Fonts SIG is open

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 19 12:15:31 UTC 2007

Le Ven 19 octobre 2007 07:42, Jens Petersen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late followup, finally I got round to writing something.
>
> Thanks, Nicolas, for all your work in getting this up and running. :)
> I feel this SIG is pretty important for the future of Fedora: after
> all text is still the bread and butter of computing... :-)
>
> Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts
> :
>
> Great start!
>
>> In addition to human posts I intend to get it CCed on every
>> font-related
>> bug in our bugzilla.
>
> Ok, as long as this list doesn't just become a bug list I am ok with
> that.

If we find out bug traffic is downing the list I'll get a separate
list created, it's too soon to see what the bug post/human post ratio
will be.

> People could also just subscribe to the font-problems bug in
> bugzilla though?

I'm not sure the font-problems bug is workable long term. It requires
people manually making their bugs block it. OTOH getting the list
CC-ed on problems in -fonts, freetype or fontforge can be automated.

My master plan is to get the list recognized at a valid user in all
the bug trackers we depend on, and have it CC-ed on problems that
concern Fedora fonts & text rendering. It's easier for bugs in fedora
bugzilla (just make it auto-CC) and it's easier for bugs in upstream
bugzillas (no
need to create a sister bug in Fedora bugzilla and make it block the
tracker). System needs to be simple or no one will bother.

>> I've created the SIG but we can make it live.
>
> Perhaps we should have a first SIG meeting on IRC before too long? :)

We can if people feel like it. I've asked once and no one replied.

>> Stuff will happen because we make it happen. SIG organisation is
>> only
>> there to help implement our wishes; I've sadly no access to magical
>> fairies ready to do the work in our stead.
>
> Some of my plans for F9 include:
>
> - lots of comps cleanup: eg finish moving all fonts from @base-x to
> @fonts and @legacy-fonts - there is a lot of duplication in f8 since
> the new groups were added a bit late in the cycle

Someone should contribute a wiki page explaining our comps policy for
fonts ;)

> - proposal to switch the default font for Japanese to VLGothic-fonts
> which is a nice new modern Japanese font
>
> - hope to get some Thai outline fonts packages reviewed and added
>
> - maybe some rationalization of the current fonts-* metapackages
>
> - document our all our main current default fonts in the wiki pages

Thank you for getting on board!

--
Nicolas Mailhot