TTF/OTF packaging thoughts?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 23 10:40:06 UTC 2008

Le Mer 23 juillet 2008 12:23, Vasile Gaburici a écrit :

> I'll share my thoughts in more detail later -- I'm in a hurry now.
> One bit I was going to say:
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> 2. I don't know what algorithm fontconfig uses to choose between
>> several formats of the same fonts, or even if its choices are
>> stable.
>
> Probably not. Linux Libertine's own packaging has an "O" appended to
> the OpenType CFF version(s), e.g.
> "Linux Libertine O" is CFF. This kinda' sucks. We need a more elegant
> solution...

If projects like Linux Libertine and Old standards systematically use
different font names for OTF and TTF versions, we can avoid the "make
the two subpackages conflict" bit, and just have two subpackages, that
each declare themselves as valid substitute for the other

(ie Linux Libertine O package says "you can use me instead of Linux
Libertine if it's not present on system and Linux Libertine says "you
can use me instead of Linux Libertine O if it's not present on
system")

--
Nicolas Mailhot