Are we really going to require fonts to be built from sources by Fedora packagers? [Was: Re: Suffix for "Old Standard" ?]

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jul 24 09:56:06 UTC 2008

2008/7/24 Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com>:

> non-free tools like FontLab ... free-beer tools like Adobe FDK

That a proprietary program is distributed at zero price is not
important; that it is proprietary is what matters :-)

>> I think we'll try to bump the fontforge version in fedora-devel to the
>> latest available upstream just before F10 beta. And then rebuild every
>> font depending on it. This way Fedora 10 users will have a recent
>> fontforge in-distro and we'll be sure all our fonts work with it.
>> That's what we did in previous releases.

This sounds okay to me, but what about fonts with sources that aren't in SFD?

Nicolas, for some strange reason I'm not getting emails from you at
all. Nor did I get Gustavo's recent emails, like the 'ivory tower'
ones that also don't appear in
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-fonts-list/2008-July/thread.html
for some reason..?

--