FreeSCI

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Apr 27 13:08:59 UTC 2007

Jon Ciesla wrote:
> I may do that.  I've found another location with several games, all free,
> at least as in beer, but with no licensing.  http://scicommunity.com  One
> of the games makes reference to the program used for development (SCI
> Studio, Windows only) being open source.  A visit to the site indicated
> that the program is Public Domain and the game LockerGnome Quest is
> "Freeware".  the game also comes with the source SCI files.
>
> If I can get some sort of license text added to the package, would this
> qualify?

Depends, is it a reasonable complete game, or just a demo? I think we need some
reasonable complete fully playable games which are freely redistributable for
freesci to be ok for Fedora. You could try to:
1) play some of these free(beer) games
2) if they are ok, try to contact the author and get redistribution permisson

I know this may sound like a PITA, but I've managed to get free licenses for
many games by just asking upstream politely, short list:
tremulous - data redistribution allowed, engine already was GPl
worminator - full GPL release after request)
seahorse-adventures - full GPL release after request
crystal-stacker + themes - BSD-ish code + data release after request
alphabet-soup - BSD-ish code + data release after request

And there are probably others I forgot about. This isn't meant as bragging, but
to prove that it can be done. If you think a game is worth the trouble (and
most reasonable games are worth the trouble of atleast googling for the author
and sending a mail), then chances are reasonable that you can get it released
under a free license. In my experience this holds true for stuff which is
already free as in beer. I've also tried with some (dead) privately owned
shareware projects, but with no success.

Regards,

Hans