Parallel Realities Games have non-free content

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Aug 18 07:13:19 UTC 2008

Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly
> using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).
>
> See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=
>
> Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:
>
> blobwars
> blobAndConquer
> starfighter
> viruskiller

Ok I've been in contact with upstream about this and I got the following
list from them of resources which they got from various places and they
thus cannot give any license guarantees about:

For Blob Wars,

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Blob And Conquer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Virus Killer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Project: Starfighter
All Music
All Sound Effects
Character Portraits
Starfighter (and other spacecraft) images

My plan is to issue updates for blobwars and blobAndConquer removing
music and sounds (and patching source as necessary to not crash when
these are missing).

Then I'll be replacing the music which is all mod / xm / s3m with
modtracker files from modarchive.org which only contains freely
(re)distributable modtracker files (license already approved by Spot).

Last I will be replacing the sound effects with sound effects from other
free games in Fedora, mainly freedoom, nexuiz, tremulous, opearena and
worminator.

I'll do the same for viruskiller as that one is from Matthias, and
Matthias seems to have little time for Fedora lately.

Project starfighter will have to be removed until we can fix the
graphics issue, I've contacted Nicu and Marin asking them if they can
maybe do some replacement graphics for starfighter.

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

As I still have quite a bit webcam work todo before the F10 beta for now
I'll only be removing the sounds / music, adding replacements is
something which I will do in a later update. In the mean time any help
with this would be much appreciated, if you want to help please drop me
a mail to coordinate.