Patent concerns

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 15:33:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:48 +0200, Johannes Dahl wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 3:11 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>
> > I don't think that is sufficient. The patent is pretty clear about the
> > way to score points is for the player to hit a button to match the
> > linear moving target when it crosses the point in space. "Jumping" or
> > "Shooting" doesn't count.
>
> I suppose you might be right. I have another idea, but can you first
> tell us when and to whom was the patent issued?

I'll be explicit:

Read this:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16014

The primary patent of concern is US 6347998, held by Konami.

In addition, Harmonix seems to hold patents directly related:
http://www.patentstorm.us/assignees/Harmonix_Music_Systems,_Inc_-88927-1.html

Good luck.

~spot