Patent concerns

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Jan 18 02:11:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 08:09 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > ... So, how about if the "targets" stay still and the cursor moves? I
> > think there's assloads of prior art on that...
>
> No, the patent is pretty darned specific. Its "targets moving in a
> straight line" to a "predetermined point or line", and the player having
> to hit a button at that precise point or line to get points. If you're
> shooting the target, doesn't apply. If there is cursor motion involved,
> doesn't apply.

Hmmm. Basically I've been tossing around the idea of developing piano
tutor software, that has the visual flair and interest of DDR and Guitar
Hero and whatnot, but actually teaches you to play piano and sight read
music notation.

I found something along the lines of what I'm thinking:
http://www.synthesiagame.com/

However it seems its not portable, and is going closed source, and
originally did not have the goal of teaching notation. That is
apparently a pay feature... Really doesn't sound worth salvaging to me.

I was thinking this would be an excuse to do something in python... I
suppose if I ever actually do this, I'll have to remember to duck this
patent somehow... :P