RFR: GIT Package VCS

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 14:17:24 UTC 2007

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> With F8T1 fast approaching (it's currently scheduled to be released on 1
> August 2007) we need to get cracking on a new VCS system.  I've been
> working on converting the CVS repositories to GIT on some spare hardware
> that I've had laying around.  I think that it's at a stage where input &
> testing from the community is needed to move the project forward.
> Therefore I'd like to request a test Xen host to move the repository
> over:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/RFR/GitPackageVCS
>
> More information about the repository I've been setting up can be found
> here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeffOllie/VCS/Git

I'm glad this is started back up.  One thing that amuses me is back
before the F7 launch it almost seemed assured that we would all go with
mercurial.  This line isn't so clear now, a lot of people have been
using git.  It seems our future is either going to be A) do nothing and
continue with CVS or B) move to HG or Git.

One thing that will be tricky about this is that we'll be completely
re-designing  how we use our source management.  Its not just removing
cvs and plugging in some other technology in its place.  I think Jesse
and Jeremy may have had something particular in mind for this but I'm
not sure.  The hurdles as I see them are:

ACL's
Making sure checkouts and commits don't take forever
Good tagging abilities

What else is there?

    -Mike