Upgrade metrics

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 15:18:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:54 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> The problem with the smolt numbers is that anyone doing kickstarts,
> installing via runlevel 3, yum upgrades or anaconda upgrades will
> never
> get prompted to enable smolt and there are privacy concerns just
> enabling it by default.  So I think the only way we can do it is
> start
> to seed people now, get the word out about smolt, and start
> monitoring
> upgrades from F7 to F8 and so on.

What happens in the case that the network stuff isn't up when smolt runs
during startup?  Did it end up being able to wait for the network and
queue it for later?  I'm a little surprised that the number of units
that we have is as small as it is, and how few of them are laptops.  Or
maybe it's just that our support for laptops is so bad that no one is
bothering anymore. :)

Would be nice to move smolt out of just the firstboot and do some user
surveys as well, but I guess we haven't speced that out and haven't had
time to do the work to make that happen.

--Chris