Our SCM

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 19:15:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 11:22 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:

> So, Infrastructure is much closer to developers, in that the pool of
> potentials are more likely to be clued.  But keeping it this hard to
> contribute means we are missing out on the 10000x more people who are
> not clued enough to get over the walls, but who would become so clued
> if
> we could get them in and working their way along the path to
> Enlightenment.
>
> This goes back to the stuff Blizzard keeps talking about -- getting
> down
> the barriers between users and developers that our open collaboration
> tools ironically create.

Right!  So here's another question for you: how do we make things
easier?  And I don't mean just getting the model right (i.e. DVCS as a
mechanism) but also keeping things super-easy to use?

Here's a completely crazy idea: do an "online" translation activity that
uses google gears on the backend that lets people do their work offline
and then can sync up when it's done?  That way anyone on
linux/windows/mac can participate and they can get hooked directly up to
web services we have in place?

That's outside of our comfort zone, but it's not completely crazy.  Our
work has to be about enabling people so that working with us and the
rest of the open source community is easy easy easy.

--Chris