Our SCM

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jun 20 20:13:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 16:06 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > So I was wondering if it might be possible to reverse the model a bit.
> > Why not make it so our buildsys and related pieces can easily pull from
> > upstream's scm's.
>
> This seems to be the best way to take advantage of distributed SCM's to
> me, and it allows for having one less resource to manage (i.e. Fedora
> CVS).   Right now, I find Fedora CVS a bit annoying as, well, it means
> using yet-another-version control repository -- and lots of seperate
> checkins when I want to push content to 3 seperate repos.
>
> However it does rely on the accessibility of those upstream repos.
> Shouldn't be a major issue.  If it's down, no updates.

but things can go away 'forever' and we still want them around.

It seems like no matter which way I turn this around in my head we end
up having to have a complete copy of everything in fedora's pkg vcs to
reliably do what we need to do. Not to mention the issues of firewalls
and the buildsys talking to hosts in $not_okay_countries.

In short, we have to have everything local otherwise we'll be exchanging
one set of problems for larger, more intractable ones. (ie: legal ones
and general confusion-of-location)

> Branching is one way to tackle this, though I'd really prefer tags.
>
> For each release, the user could log in and specify what tag to build
> from where.
> That way I could build the same arbitrary tag identically for FC-6,
> FC-7, and devel ... if I want.
>
> Which, being upstream and relatively not-caring about the differences
> between those distros as my source repository already takes care of
> that, that's usually what I want.
>
> Seems like this could be very slow for the build system, though.

and dangerous and possibly against 'the rules'.

> Alternatively, I'd like the same features and be able to push my
> repository to the Fedora server.    Either way, something more flexible
> and quicker to use would be
> welcome.

sounds like push down from upstream will be about the only thing we'll
be able to do w/o getting into a bunch of other issues.

-sv