Our SCM

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 20:29:22 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 16:06 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> seth vidal wrote:
>>

> but things can go away 'forever' and we still want them around.

You'd have the entire history in the last pull, right?
> It seems like no matter which way I turn this around in my head we end
> up having to have a complete copy of everything in fedora's pkg vcs to
> reliably do what we need to do. Not to mention the issues of firewalls
> and the buildsys talking to hosts in $not_okay_countries.

True.    Hosting and pushing to a DVCS sounds better -- and it's not any
harder.

> sounds like push down from upstream will be about the only thing we'll
> be able to do w/o getting into a bunch of other issues.

I like this.

OT -- Mercurial has on a few occasions accepted a push that resulted in
the target repository losing history or merging in ways that I would
consider fundamentally wrong.   I can't prove this, but we've seen it on
a few occasions enough to believe it wasn't user error.   I figured I
should share that.

I really haven't had this need with git -- with hg, I did have to
recreate the repo on the server a few times.    That might be a problem
for administration and needs a nice way to be automatically cleaned out
and repushed without pinging an admin, I think.

git has a bit too many commands and is not user friendly in a lot of
cases, but from a while using both, I prefer git.