ticket system comments

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:38:56 UTC 2007

On 6/22/07, Paulo Santos <paulo.banon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think that the ML has two down sides:
>     3) Stuff that takes a long time to fix may get lost
>     4) Difficult to know who's working on what
>
> Besides that i agree with Seth, its better then OTRS (at least for our
> needs),
> But my favourite option is still Trac. I think we could use Trac for our
> needs.
>
> Paulo

Outside person.. but I thought RT was being used by the Fedora
Infrastructure Team or was that RH IS? Was there a reason it wasnt
looked at?

The biggest issues you want in a ticketing system versus a mailling list are:

1) Accountability.
2) Memory system of common problems
3) Ability to maintain some level of Service Level
4) Ability to track problems issues better.

However you have overhead for those. You need to 'classify' the
problem, You need to close out tickets, and You need to go over
problems regularly to see where things keep breaking.

Ticketing systems that are more usable via email works better for
people who are working remotely and whose 'workflows' are email
centered. For other workflows it may cause more problems.