smolt, hardware compatibility and package stats

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:41:56 UTC 2007

On 6/25/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:

> I would rather leave the packaging stuff up to the mugshot guys.  They
> will add an interesting social aspect to it.  What I _am_ interested for
> smolt, though, is hardware compatibility surveys.  I think that Mike and
> I have discussed that in the past and we just never figured out how it
> would work.  i.e. "does this laptop suspend with kernel X" which is
> different than the data we collect now which doesn't really change with
> time.  It's a new set of data related to hardware that we can build
> entries with over time and be able to measure something important: how
> good we do with our hardware support and specific releases.

Doesn't knowing what's installed help determine what could be fighting with
the hardware?  Seems like there are two data points to capture.  What's
installed (seems like a good feature for smolt) and what's actually used
(which mugshot is collecting now).  What people are using has a social
value.  What people have installed has more value for support and future
planning.  I'm not saying the installed packages should have a high priority
for smolt, but it should be on the road map, IMO.

Russell
----
Russell Harrison
Systems Administrator -- Linux Desktops