smolt, hardware compatibility and package stats

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:54:01 UTC 2007

On 6/25/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:

> I actually think that we need to capture a small bit of that
> information.  i.e. kernel, hal, pm-utils and whatnot.  But catching
> everything?  Probably not really needed for hardware compat.  (Maybe
> other things like NM, bluez-utils, etc.)
>
> Just trying to keep the scope pretty small. :)

Understood,  it just seems to be about the same  amount of codding  work to
record everything  rather than filtering stuff out.  Now when you start
talking about storage required. . . that is a different story. I think the
reason I said it should be on the road map is in the future smolt can help
with software compatibility as well.  Again not a high priority given the
current scope of smolt, just one for the list.

What may be very valuable from a hardware compat standpoint is a record of
packages that aren't in the fedora repos, especially kernel modules.  We
know people are going to be installing the nvidia and fglrx drivers, but
what else are they installing because the stock kernel doesn't have drivers
that do what they want.

Russell
----
Russell Harrison