Metrics: Ideas of Data Sources

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 21:31:07 UTC 2007

Just jotting down some ideas for additional Fedora Metrics.  Data over
time and graphs would be very useful in media to show using actual
numbers the growth of Fedora in activity, contributors and packages.
These graphs would also be very useful in making business cases to RH in
showing the success of Fedora investment, as we try to justify more
targeted investments.

Data Sources
============
1) cvsextras-sponsors at fp.org receives all of the notices where people
request and are granted access to the cvsextras group.  We have no
official mail archive of this.  Does anyone personally have an archive
of cvsextras-sponsors mail going back to the beginning when Sopwith
launched the system?

Harvesting that mail archive would allow us to graph absolute # of
Fedora package contributors over time.  This however tells us nothing
about activity.

2) Check-in activity on the two commits lists could tell us:
    - how many contributors were active in a given month
    - how active was package activity in general
    - how many new packages
    - how many actively maintained packages

3) Metadata within CVS could tell us similar information as above.

Any other ideas for potential statistics grabbing opportunities?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.co