Smolt deployment

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 19:20:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 11:43 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> This is mostly for the TurboGears guys in the group.  We've discussed
> this a little in the past but I wanted to get something down for sure
> before all of our stuff goes live.  Whats going to be our official
> deployment method?  Personally I'd vote mod_python though I haven't
> actually done this yet.  Does using mod_python still require a proxypass
> to a tg port?  I'd tend towards mod_python just because it would behave
> just like the rest of our apps do though I know toshio has some neat
> script that makes it behave that way too.  What do you guys think?
> mod_python may be too complex for what we're trying to accomplish.

Just some random thoughts as I'm running out the door:

I have never gotten mod_python to work with a cherrypy/tg based
application by following the documentation on either project's wikis.
That said, I haven't tried with TG since 0.8 so perhaps the process (or
just the documentation) is better now.

I like the way I'm doing it because I've got it to a state where it
pretty much just works but if we can do that with mod_python as well,
that would be fine.  My method is basically Apache proxypassing to the
turbogears application server.  If the tg server isn't running, the
proxypass error handler loads a small cgi script that starts the
turbogears app and once the app responds, sends the user there.

TurboGears is trying to become more WSGI compliant.  TG-1.1 is supposed
to use cherrypy-3.0 which has a builtin mod_python->WSGI gateway.  That
should make mod_python deployment simpler than with cherrypy-2.2.

So I think -- if we can make mod_python easy to deploy, that seems the
way to go.  If we can't then I've got something that will work until
TG-1.1 and a more integrated WSGI implementation.

Tangentially: We probably want to preserve the ability to run our apps
on several different servers.  Because python libraries don't do
versioning (well -- we may be able to do it with setuptools and eggs,
but that's a long term, distro-wide change.) we can enter situations
where some web apps depend on TG-1.0 and others on TG-1.1 (or sqlobject
or python-urlgrabber or...)  Being able to proxy to a xen host during
transition periods rather than having to upgrade all our web apps at
once is probably a good thing.

-Toshio