Disk space requirements

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Sat Mar 24 15:24:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 10:04 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 09:58:37AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > As for the mirrors, what are they obligated to take and what can they pick?
>
> They can pick and choose however they like fundamentally.  They
> exclude by arch (e.g. ppc often isn't carried), only Core, no
> debuginfo, no repoview, ...  Mirrormanager crawls them to know what
> they carry in a per-directory basis and can present that to the end
> users.

I would strongly suggest that the mirrors only be asked to keep x86 and
x86_64.  We can always have a ppc.fedoraproject.org where people can get
ppc (same for itanium, etc.)  Gives them their own identity, too.

I can't imagine that the number of people using those variants would add
up to much bandwith for us to carry, and we can't burden them with it in
addition to the size increase we're asking them to carry.

In addition, if there's a way that we can ask them to only carry current
+ 1 distro that seems fine with me.  Beyond that, set up
archive.fedoraproject.org and put them there.  I have to imagine that
the number of people using releases older than that is so low that it
has to be a trailing edge opportunity to ask all of the mirrors to carry
it.

I don't suppose we have numbers to back any of this up instead of just
speculating?  Could be gleaned from web logs over time, right?

--Chris