mirrorlist

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Mar 25 18:22:36 UTC 2007

Hi,

I just noticed that the mirrorlist script returns the full mirror list
if the mirrors for your country are below a certain limit. For example
here is what happens with most european countries:

# repo = core-6 country = GB arch = x86_64
http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
# No results found for country: GB
# Defaulting to global
# repo = core-6 country = FI arch = x86_64
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
# No results found for country: FI
# Defaulting to global
# repo = core-6 country = NL arch = x86_64
http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/6/x86_64/os/
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/6/x86_64/os/
ftp://alviss.et.tudelft.nl/pub/fedora/core/6/x86_64/os/
# No results found for country: NL
# Defaulting to global
# repo = core-6 country = NO arch = x86_64
http://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Fedora/core/6/x86_64/os/
# No results found for country: NO
# Defaulting to global

As it is now only US,CA,FR,DE get a "local" mirror as far as I can see

I was wondering if it makes more sense to use mirrors from "nearby" countries
instead of the full list in cases like this. Defining "nearby" could be
a problem but even the same continent is bound to be better than the existing
system.

Any thoughts?

Kostas Georgiou