Calendaring system?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 21:32:48 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 18:51 -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
>
>> Adam,
>>
>> Funny thing, I was just mentioning how it would be nice to have a
>> calendaring solution that would be able to let people pull feeds and
>> put items on the calendar for Fedora with use in FAS.  I think even
>> though there's currently no solution quite as good as google calendar
>> (or apple's iCal) in free software, there are alternatives.
>>
>> Bongo Project - http://bongo-project.org/Main_Page  (formerly Hula) (GPLv2)
>> Bedework - http://www.bedework.org/bedework/ (BSD License)
>> DAViCal - http://rscds.sourceforge.net/ (GPL)
>>
>> I'm sure there are others, but I think a self-sustaining calendar that
>> could integrate with the Fedora Account System (FAS) and make it so
>> that people can create events that could get pushed to a central
>> calendar which others might subscribe.  Something like this would be
>> awesome and I'd be happy to help you get it started.  Maybe one of the
>> above programs can meet our needs, or maybe we need to look into
>> something else.
>
> Thanks a lot, Clint. Actually one of our QA community guys, Jóhann
> Guðmundsson, independently suggested Bedework to me and I had a quick
> look at the web page and it looks nice. It runs in Java but I guess
> that's no problem if it works on OpenJDK, and it looks like it's nice
> and self-contained, actively developed, and seems to really work to
> implement the latest standards, so it looks like a good candidate to me.
> I haven't looked at the others you suggested yet, but I will.
>
> I'm happy to help out as much as I can - I'm no expert in this field -
> in the initial set up, my only concern is to make sure that this is
> something the infrastructure group will maintain over a sustained
> period, I'm just hoping that it won't fall by the wayside and stop
> working after a few months or wind up with me having to (try and)
> maintain it or something. But I'm certainly happy to help out in getting
> it up and running and fit for purpose initially.

We have kind of a de facto no-Java standard in infrastructure.  This is
partially because none of us have had good experiences running apps in
java and partially because we have noone with Java programming
experience to fix things if we need to.  If you had some people to give
to us to work on maintaining the server we might be able to work out
something similar to how zikula is being run for the docs deploy.  But
that doesn't sound like the case :-(

-Toshio