New SOP page

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:18:39 UTC 2009

Mike McGrath wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I've categorized all of our SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) pages in
>>> the [[Category:Infrastructure SOPs]] and made a new page for them:
>>>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Infrastructure_SOPs
>>>
>>> (The old URL redirects there so old, external links are still fine).
>>> The index on the page is generated automatically by the category.  This
>>> means that anytime you create a new SOP simply place this Category tag
>>> at the bottom of the page and it will appear here as well::
>>>
>>> [[Category:Infrastructure SOPs]]
>>>
>>> As you can see from the index on the page, the MoinMoin, hierarchical
>>> directory index scheme makes the Category Index a little ugly
>>> (everything is listed as beginning with "I" because they all start with
>>> "Infrastructure".  Additionally, the docs folks recommend that everyone
>>> renames pages to be more natural language oriented so that mediawiki's
>>> search functionality works better.
>>>
>>> If I rename in Mediawiki, there will be redirects from the old names to
>>> the new ones.  Does anyone mind if I start doing that?
>>>
>>> I was thinking of one of the following schemes:
>>>
>>> A) Infrastructure/SOP/Baculs => Bacula
>>> B) Infrastructure/SOP/Bacula => Bacula SOP
>>>
>> Talked to ianweller on IRC and he recommends:
>>
>> /wiki/Bacula Infrastructure SOP
>>
>> and since that's a long URL... having a shortcut (basically a redirect)
>> page name: SOP:BACULA
>> #REDIRECT [[Bacula Infrastructure SOP]]
>>
>> So http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SOP:BACULA would take you to the proper
>> place.
>>

> My only concern here is we're not the only group with SOP's, releng also
> uses them.  Although as long as we don't conflict it might not be a
> terrible idea to merge them.

The pages and categories themselves don't conflict since both
[[Category: Infrastructure SOPs]] and Bacula Infrastructure SOP have
"Infrastructure" in them.  For the shortcuts we can either merge the two
or we can have:

ISOP:BACULA
RSOP:BUILDROOTS

At the moment, I don't see any overlap between the two.  Jesse, Do you
have an opinion on this?

-Toshio