Unneeded assertions (supposed to have been: RPM upgrade discussion)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 2 13:02:38 UTC 2004

Axel Thimm wrote:

> o Red Hat, Inc. and R P Herrold are laughable

The entity and individuals no, but regarding that particular statement
it is my personal opinion that it is a teribly poor situation to even
suggest that.  It is bad that we went for so long with "kill rpm and
erase the lock files" as the only supported solution.

> o FedoraLegacy is supposed to do what you wrote in the Wiki, although
>   even the person with the Legacy Leader cap (or fedora) refrained
>   from it.

What does this mean?

> o rpm is not required as an upgrade, but people not doing it "are also
>   unsupported by the Fedora Legacy team." by your decision.

It seemed like a good decision, and better than forcing everyone to
upgrade to RPM.  If they want to avoid upgrading RPM, then they can't
use the "legacy" channel which has the package manager that depends on
that upgraded version of RPM.  How is this unreasonable?

> o Jeff Johnson is quoted by you to recommend to not to use rpm
>   --rebuilddb. Jeff almost got a stroke, when I asked him about that.

I have not read anything to the contrary coming from him.  The last
thing I recall reading from Jeff indicated that --rebuilddb was
unnecessary to deal specifically with the rpm deadlock issue.  I would
invite him to elucidate the situation.

> What is next? Users of third party repos are also expelled and
> unsupported?

Slippery slope arguments are usually born out of emotional illogic.

 > Hosting Legacy at fedora.us is probably already implying
 > your set of policies upon it.

Write a complete set of alternative policies and procedures, with the
infrastructure and documentation to back it up.  Then make it
collaborative.  Then let the group decide.

The current proposal for Legacy development was born out of the lack of
anything else being written, or even discussed.  Simply dismissing
something without proposing a complete alternative is not productive.

> Once again there is a pattern of 'Le Fedora-legacy, c'est moi'. I find
> that this discussion and false assertions are thwarting development of
> this project.

Given the complete lack of initiative and direction by anyone else here,
I stepped in and offered a structured and proven solution based upon the
highly successful fedora.us development model.  I even proposed this
plan to those who said they wanted to be Legacy leaders during early
December, but I got ZERO replies (other than Michael).

If the majority here dislikes what I am doing, then say so.  Then
subsequently be prepared to step in and keep the ball rolling with your
own solutions.

Heck, even if you agree with the direction that I am pushing, I
realistically cannot remain pushing initiatives here.  My time is very
short after January 5th.

Unless others show more initatiative this project will die.  I
personally do not even USE the distributions that Legacy would support,
but I worked hard on this because I wanted to give the community at
least the chance.

> You are driving developers away.

Given the lack of prior discussion, I wondered if they were even here to
begin with.  It is my hope that this proposed framework will at least
give them the chance to make it succeed.

Please feel free to discuss and improve the proposed framework.

Warren