fedora-l] Re: RPM upgrade discussion

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 3 20:22:52 UTC 2004

On Thursday 01 January 2004 10:59 pm, Warren Togami wrote:
> rpm-4.2.x is NOT what Fedora Legacy is doing.

That's probably a good thing.  I can reliably and just about on command
heavily corrupt a Fedora Core 1 RPM database on one machine I have in
production.  It's an AMD K6-2 that otherwise is solid as a rock; but a couple
of runs of {apt|synaptic|up2date|yum} and I get all sorts of odd errors.  RPM
doesn't hang; it spits errors.  Deleting /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys and doing an
rpm --rebuild restores it long enough to run rpm -U on a dozen or so packages
before it starts spitting again.  I have had to pipe the Packages db through
rpmdb_dump and rpmdb_load at least a dozen times, now.  The only thing that
reliably restores operation (for a while) is rm of Pubkeys; but that's a
temporary fix.

Basically, every time I run up2date (and it actually installs more than just a
few updates) I have to do the recovery.  This is the only machine that has
this problem.

The machine passes several burn-in tests of RAM, CPU, and HD.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology