Media Inquiry - About the Red Hat Linux 7.x and 8.0 end of life notification mailed to RHN subscribers yesterday

m.stolte at datadevil.demon.nl m.stolte at datadevil.demon.nl
Thu Jan 15 17:46:46 UTC 2004

Quoting Sean Kerner <sean at resultsoverhead.com>:

> Hi, I'm a RedHat 7.3 user - and a freelance techjournalist.
> I'm writing a story today about the official EOL sent to RedHat Subscribers.
> Just curious for some comments from Fedora Legacy project members and
> community about this official EOL.
>
> Can anyone tell me how many RHN users were mailed this notice?

try asking Redhat?

> How many have 'converted'/ migrated their RHN up2date client to Fedora
> Legacy?

think legacy doesn't support up2date from rhl7, since that doesnt support
apt/yum repositories.

> and btw, How does an existing 7.x/8 RHN user convert up2date to use Fedora
> Legacy?

ah. They could try the one from the fedora core i think, thats supposed to
support yum, but it'd take a recompile to run on 7 due to gcc diffs.

> Is someone that is running 7.x/8 without Errata support safe today?

define safe.Most exploits i've seen involve local root exploits, which isnt too
big a problem for alot of us, or are for services that the average user doesn't run.

> Is Fedora Legacy 'ready' in this post EOL era?

imho it is still getting up to speed, no downloads available, no official
anouncement yet.

Maarten