Self-Introduction: Jonas Pasche

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jan 16 21:22:41 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 12:25, Jonas Pasche wrote:
> Fixed. For my clarification; what exactly is the difference between
> these two words? Red Hat publishes all updates as "errata" with the
> subcategories "security alerts", "bugfixes" and "enhancements";
> that's why I thought "errata" would be appropriate.

I differ to Warren on this one.  We're using "updates" based on his
recommendation.  He had good reasons, I just forgot them.

> > Number 4, the mirror list will have locations, so we can flat list
> > areas of the world and list mirrors that way.
>
> What does that mean for the published page? IMHO we should
> dynamically provide a link to a near mirror, based on the IP of the
> user, and give the option to list other mirrors. Alternatively, show
> the fedora.us download URL, but let the link target be a page to
> select a mirror instead of a direct link to the fedora.us download
> server.
>
> Any suggestions?

Way too complicated.  Who cares where the browser IP is, they could be
getting links for a box that is half a country away from them ( I
constantly do ).  A simple mirror list split by geographical region,
allowing the end user to pick their place would be best.

> > Number 5, the example should be on the download page probably.
> >  Link to it.
>
> I'll include this in my still-to-do end user "How to use Fedora
> Legacy" page. Actually I find that title better than "Download",
> because using Fedory Legacy isn't actually like downloading and
> installing a package, but that's open to discussion.

I like that name too, works for me.

> > Number 7, We're free and public, we're providing longer support, we
> > support yum/apt freedownloads, we will support Fedora Core.
>
> Fixed. How long will Progeny provide support? I haven't found a
> concrete statement on their website, so how can we tell that we're
> providing longer support?

Don't know for sure.

> > Number 8, change the "to" to "two".  To answer your question, it's
> > more of when RH no longer supports FC3, thats when Legacy picks it
> > up, and no longer supports FC1.  Legacy will end up (officially)
> > supporting 2 FC releases at any given time.
>
> Fixed, but still not-so-easy to understand, I think. Maybe a small
> graph can clarify this? If yes - volunteers? I'm not good at such
> things.

Instead of a graph, how about a simple timeline that has the events
rather than dates.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: