Legacy mirror structure

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Jan 19 11:11:50 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote :

> My proposal is to run a master mirror server for FL.  An ISP has offered
> rackspace and bandwidth for such a beast.  The layout I envision is this:
>
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS/
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS//base
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS/updates
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS/updates-testing
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS/legacy-addons
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/$basearch/base
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/$basearch/updates
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/SRPMS/updates-testing
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/$releasever/$basearch/legacy-addons

I guess there is a typo for SRPMS/updates-testing where s/SRPMS/$basearch/.

> where each subdir of $basearch has a directory RPMS, and a symlink SRPMS,
> which points to the correct ../../SRPMS/foo dir.  Given the 7.3 release,
> i386 arch, and the "updates" dir we would have:
>
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/7.3/i386/updates/RPMS
> download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/7.3/i386/updates/SRPMS->../../SRPMS/upd
> ates

Are these SRPMS symlinks really useful? Why not this instead :
$releasever/{base,updates,..}/{$basearch,SRPMS}/*.rpm
Just a thought.

[...]
> Thoughts?

Yes, one more important one : As it is planned to support at least some
Fedora Core releases later on, the information about "redhat" vs. "fedora"
should appear somewhere, otherwise there will clearly be a scalability
problem once Fedora Core 9 needs to be supported ;-) I'd suggest :

/legacy/{redhat,fedora}/$releasever/...

Also, for the ftp/rsync accessible structure, having the leading /legacy/
part of the path is a good thing (as /pub/legacy for ftp and as a "legacy"
rsync module for instance), but for http it's quite redundant with the
virtual host name, and could be removed for purely cosmetic and line length
considerations.

In the end, my final suggestion would be :

http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/base/$basearch
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/base/SRPMS
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/$basearch
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/SRPMS
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-addons/$basearch
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-addons/SRPMS

With "redhat" substituted for "fedora" when the time will come.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2154.nptl
Load : 0.08 0.12 0.32