Future of fedora.us and fedoralegacy.org (was Re: Legacy mirror structure)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 19 18:00:52 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote:
 >>>I am in agreement with previous posters in suggesting making the basedir
 >>>"fedoralegacy" rather than just "legacy".  This makes things more clear
 >>>for mirror maintainers.
 >

 > The basedir of MY server matters little.  The mirror admins should be
 > allowed to make their own base dir(s) and choose at what point in our
 > master tree they wish to rsync from.  We should not try to force a
 > specific basedir upon them.  In our mirror document, we can suggest a
 > basedir of fedoralegacy though.

Fair enough.

> I'm somewhat tossing/turning over this one.  I've ran across servers that
> don't have the SRPMS and it pisses me off that I have to hunt down another
> fast server that has my content.  To make our master server self
> hosting(well a little beyond) I'd rather have it there, since we can plan
> for the space usage anyway.  Individual mirrors can choose to
> exclude/hardlink this directory if they wish.

You want to have convenience for yourself at the expense of several GB's
for the many mirrors that don't exclude or hardlink?  I would highly
advocate for "smart by default".

>>>4) download.fedora.us will continue to serve RH8, RH9 and FC1 add-ons in
>>>the Extras channels stable/testing/unstable for users who wish to use
>>>them, while continuing to benefit from "updates" which are copied from
>>>legacy.  fedora.us will indefinitely maintain security updates for RH8,
>>>RH9, FC1 Extras within the existing download.fedora.us tree, with the
>>>help of the Legacy team.
>

> Can you re-word this a bit?  Almost sounds like you want us to maintain
> security releases for the 3rd party packages you host for 8.0, 9, and
> FC1..  Isn't that a bit beyond the scope of Fedora Legacy?

I meant to say that Legacy should only help to keep an eye for security
holes and just alert us.  Watching the lists is the hardest part.
Legacy people already watch the list as part of their job, so they can
really help us in this regard.

>>>7) fedoralegacy.org can continue to use bugzilla.fedora.us.  That
>>>instance of Bugzilla is now being maintained professionally and should
>>>remain stable as a result.  New products/components can be added to the
>>>Bugzilla to uniquely support Legacy development.
>

> I like this.  I would like to create an A record for your system, just call
> it bugzilla.fedoralegacy.org.  This shouldn't be a problem no?  In the
> future, can we have our own tracker, instead of Fedora Meta, can it be
> Fedora Legacy with me as the default bug owner?  Your call.

Adding products/components to the bugzilla is no problem.  Just wait
until a day where it is 8AM and I had had a night of sleep...

Warren