Legacy mirror structure

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Jan 20 12:15:57 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote :

> Yes, difficult thing to think of.  Perhaps it would be feasable for the
> master mirror to hold the correct headers/ file that has SRPMS and debug
> stuff, but have a mirror.headers/ directory that is the result of
> ignoring the SRPMS and the debug stuff.  I personally don't wish to
> include debug stuff.  If the end user wants debug, they can download the
> SRPM and build it themselves.  But a headers/ and a headers.nosrpms/
> would be useful for mirror folks.

Well, currently, the (yum) headers for SRPMS are not used for anything
AFAIK. And as for having them included on a single config line along with
the binary packages, it may be better to have exactly the opposite. With
apt for instance, you're much better off not having "rpm-src" lines enabled
in your configuration if you don't plan on using "apt-get source" very
often. You save bandwidth as well as execution time.

Anyway, wouldn't it be better to directly concentrate on the integration of
the new common repodata files? The logical evolution is that it'll become
the main supported server-side metadata format, so IMHO it's the most
important to start thinking of now.
How will it handle binary vs. source sets of packages? AFAICT, it doesn't
make any special difference between both, but as I said above, it may be
interesting to decide to separate them if it can lower to amount of
transfered data when minor changes occur (e.g. one new update).

I think the solution I like most is :

[...]/SRPMS/repodata/
[...]/SRPMS/*.rpm
[...]/$basearch/repodata/
[...]/$basearch/*.rpm

With a default configuration which only fetches metadata for $basearch
packages but with the ability to easily enable fetching it for source
packages too. Just as you said concerning the debug packages, that very few
people actually need them, the same applies (in a different proportion) to
source packages IMHO.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2163.nptl
Load : 0.10 0.48 0.56