When to bump the build?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Jan 22 01:24:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 17:22, Warren Togami wrote:
> RH's policy is ANY PACKAGE THAT LEAVES YOUR LOCAL SYSTEM must always
> bump the release number.
>
> For Legacy I would suggeset not bumping a number only for a rebuild
> on the higher distribution, but instead adding some sort of disttag.
>  For example:
>
> foo-1.3.5-2.7.2.legacy
> foo-1.3.5-2.7.3.legacy
> foo-1.3.5-2.8.legacy

yeah, this isn't the issue that I was talking about.  A package was
posted to bugzilla, we found a bug in it, fixed the bug, do we bump the
build number on that package (and put it out of skew with the rest of
the packages)?

> Do this ONLY if the only spec change is the release number, and the
> versions were unified for the purpose of making it easier to maintain
> in the future.  Also recall the earlier agreed upon policy that any
> upgrading of versions for the purpose of unifying versions across
> distributions must be explicitly communicated on the list and agreed
> upon by consensus.
>
> (By consensus, I would suggest making it among past contributors.)

Totally agreeable.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: