A couple quick kernel questions...

Jens Knutson jensknutson at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 01:07:21 UTC 2004

Just 2 quick kernel questions: (I promise, I searched the archives
already! :-)

1) The kernel documentation for CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN says that "The
vast majority of SCSI devices have only one LUN, and so most people can
say N here and should in fact do so, because it is safer."

Well, I've discovered that my "6-in-1" CF/MMC/etc card reader, and all
others like it, require CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN to be set to Y to work
properly.  What is it about the option that makes it "unsafe", and will
this go away in the near future? (crosses fingers...)

2) I've been using the Rawhide 2.6 kernels for a couple weeks, and I
love them!  One thing I found that made a big interactivity difference
was the CFQ I/O scheduler from Andrew Morton's -mm patch set.  Since
this is selectable at boot, is it possible that we'll see CFQ in Fedora
Core 2 test kernels?  Patching each new release sucks. ;-)

Thanks!

 - jck

enthusiastic about."
 -- Albert Einstein