yum and rpm updates for 8.0

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Jan 28 22:51:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 20:38, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 10:27, Jason Lim wrote:
> > It was my understanding that minimal changes were to be made to the
> > original redhat distributions, so it would make sense to stay with
> > the existing rpm version (unless it has a security flaw) and use yum
> > 1.x.
>
> Almost.  The rpm locking issue is pretty bad, and Red Hat didn't upgrade
> it for certain internal political and technical reasons, which we are
> not bound to.

RH lived through the RHL 8.0 rpm lockup period and survived. If Fedora
Legacy starts fixing bugs RH didn't .. where does that end?
The people who want legacy support are likely willing to rather live
with documented bugs than with unknown new ones., otherwise they
would've already upgraded to something newer already.

Just my humble opinion,

	- Panu -