QA testing for apt on RH{7.X|8.0}

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 1 18:47:23 UTC 2004

Quoting Erik Forsberg <forsberg+fedoralegacy at cendio.se>:

> If I check out the instructions for using apt on RH8.0
> (http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/apt-rh8.php), it says:
>
> "NOTE: The Fedora Legacy apt program has not yet finished QA
> testing. The instructions for installing it below will not work (or be
> completed) until it has passed the QA testing."
>
> ..in big fat scary letters that makes me a little bit afraid :-).

Glad that it scared you :)  The real problem here is that since it
isn't released yet, I can't complete the instructions (e.g. by providing
the actual url to download it from, etc).

> How is QA testing on using APT for Red Hat Linux 8.0 (and 7.X) going?

I'm using it on RH 8.0 without problem.  Not sure who else has tested it
if anyone since then.  But there has been discussion and changes made
after I tested it, so I can't speak for anything except the version
I tested.  See the buzilla entry for the details.

> Where can I see status of it? How can I help (I do have access to a
> bunch of machines running RH 7.X and 8.0).

Well, you can find the status in bugzilla.  I do this by going to
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/, click on the "Legacy Devel Tracker"
link in the "News" section of the right hand column, then find the
package I am interested in and click on the "Id" number at the left.

Normally, that will tell you all you need to know.  But in the case
of apt, there is a note in there about waiting for a FC apt version,
and no follow up about this.  So you may need to ask the mailing list
about this.

--
Eric Rostetter