I would like to test apt, kernel etc.

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 3 04:16:08 UTC 2004

Quoting Ivan Teliatnikov <ivan at geosci.usyd.edu.au>:

> In two words what do I need to do to participate as a tester?

Depends on your abilities.  For those without lots of time/ability, but
access to one or more machines to test one, then:

* go to https://bugzilla.fedora.us/buglist.cgi?keywords=LEGACY periodically
* find any packages listed there with a State+Result of "RESO"+"PEND" that
   you run on your machines
* Download those packages from the updates-testing channel and install them
* Test them to make sure they install cleanly, function properly (best you
   can), just basically try to make sure they work as best you can.
* Write up the results (what you downloaded, what machine arch/OS you
   installed on, how the install went, how the testing went, any problems or
   quirks you found, etc).
* Report the above, preferably gpg clearsigned to the bugzilla, but if not
   then anyway you can (to the mailing list if needed, bugzilla if possible).

If you have more time/ability to help than the above, then:

* go to https://bugzilla.fedora.us/buglist.cgi?keywords=LEGACY periodically
* find any packages there which you run or are familiar about
* download and build the source (or binary if available) rpms
* install, test, report back as above
* help create fixes/patches if you can and fixes/patches are needed.

In this second case, just cruise the available bugzilla postings to see
what to do...  You can learn what to do from the work already done.

If you need any help with anything, just ask the list.  This was all new
to me a few months ago also, but now I'm in a position to help others get
up to speed, so just ask if you need help with anything.

--
Eric Rostetter