missing /initrd-2.4.20-30.7.legacy.img after kernel upgrade

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Thu Mar 11 15:59:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:24:58 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thursday 11 March 2004 04:33, Ivan Teliatnikov wrote:
> > The initrd is typically used for temporarily booting the hardware into a
> > state, that the real kernel vmlinuz can than take over and continue the
> > booting. For example - you can't read the kernel off the scsi hard disk
> > until you have a scsi driver loaded in the kernel.
> >
> > My /etc/grub.conf points to non-existing image. Is this correct?
> >
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-30.7.legacy)
> >    root (hd0,0)
> >    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.7.legacy ro root=/dev/hda9
> >    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-30.7.legacy.img
> >
> > I can manually create this image running command
> > mkinitrd /initrd-2.4.20-30.7.legacy.img 2.4.20-30.7.legacy

First of all, that command would be incorrect, because it would create the
initrd image in the root directory as opposed to the /boot directory,
which is on a different partition. Your grub.conf file says that you
have /dev/hda1 = /boot and /dev/hda9 = /. Creation of the initrd can
fail if /boot is out of space.

It should be reproducible, too, i.e.

 * install previous kernel (-28.7)
 * reboot to previous kernel
 * erase -30.7 kernel
 * apt-get -30.7 kernel

Is it?

> Making of the initrd is part of the kernel %post script.  If, for some
> reason, you're using a 3rd party module in your current kernel, that
> initrd thinks is required, then you should have gotten a message about the
> %post script failing.  In all the tests I did, I use rpm manually or with
> yum, and the initrd.img was created.
>
> Can anybody else duplicate this failure using apt?

I doubt that. There is no reason to assume that the kernel update from
28.7 to 30.7 has changed anything that would break initrd creation.