Red Hat 7.x PHP confusion

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at iki.fi
Thu Mar 18 09:32:18 UTC 2004

Ville Herva wrote:
> I did (before I posted the question); I took the Red Hat 8 and Red Hat 9
> errata .src.rpm's but both of them are for apache-2 only. The Red Hat 9
> .spec is even uncompatible with the RH7.x rpm build system (or at least it
> gives as error.) On top of that, they require a huge pile of devel libraries
> -- moreover, recent versions of them, which would mean I have to upgrade
> things like openldpa, cyrus-sasl, and install freetype and gd... Surely,
> with heavy massaging the .spec could be made to work (by disabling
> configuration options (although even with --without-freetype it still barfs
> on lack of -lttf), but I was trying to imply I didn't find it easy. Hence I
> asked íf someone had done it already and could perhaps provide some tips.

PHP is really a pain to package (at least for packaging newbie like me :)

But I've succeeded some time ago in making 4.3.2 RPMs on RH72. They
didn't provide everything (SNMP for example), but most of the common
features were in. Here's the list what packages I had to install/upgrade
to get php rebuilt and installed on that specific server (I think it was
a "vanilla" RH72 before the php upgrade, but I might be wrong):

aspell-0.50.3-15
aspell-da-0.50-5
aspell-de-0.50-5
aspell-devel-0.50.3-15
aspell-en-0.51-6
aspell-es-0.50-5
aspell-fr-0.50-3
aspell-it-0.1-17
aspell-nl-0.50-3
aspell-no-0.50-3
aspell-pt-0.50-6
aspell-pt_BR-2.4-13
aspell-sv-0.50-3
autoconf213-2.13-6
autoconf-2.57-3
automake14-1.4p6-5.1
automake-1.6.3-5
curl-7.10.4-1
curl-devel-7.10.4-1
libtool-1.4.3-5
libtool-libs-1.4.3-5
libxml2-2.5.8-3
libxml2-devel-2.5.8-3
libxml2-python-2.5.8-3
php-4.3.2
php-devel-4.3.2
php-imap-4.3.2
php-ldap-4.3.2
php-manual-4.3.2
php-mysql-4.3.2
php-odbc-4.3.2
php-pgsql-4.3.2
zziplib-0.10.27
zziplib-devel-0.10.27
zziplib-doc-0.10.27
zziplib-sfnet-0.10.27

So, if PHP is vulerable, I would suggest patching, not upgrading, it.

Though, if someone is interested in building the newest PHP packages for
7.x, I'd be interested in them. I can share my specs from the 4.3.2 test
upgrade I've made.

Regards,
Peter