libpng for 7.x

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat May 1 13:32:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:11:06PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> There is no correct way.  Perhaps if Red Hat had a constant method of doing
> their version numbers there may be, but no...
> I'd say bump the 4 to 5, and append .legacy
> so libpng-1.0.14-0.7x.5.legacy

Ouch. That seem like a recipe for disaster. What if RH would, out of the
blue, decide to actually release an official update to something we thought
was completely out of maintenance? Not likely to happen with 7.x, but maybe
one or two RHL9 updates will still trickle out. I think Seth's choice of not
touching the base RH package's version number is a better policy choice --
largely _because_ there is no upstream constant method. Instead, we should
leave whatever they do alone, and add after that.

$0.02...