yum installation management.

Jackie Meese jackie.m at vt.edu
Thu May 6 00:36:08 UTC 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 2:30 PM, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Brian Hirt wrote:
>> I spent some time whipping up a little system that is similar to RHN.
>>   The administration is from a web page where you can  view which
>> components on your servers are out of date and request that the
>> remotely administered systems update certain packages.
>
> I liked logging into a webpage and updating a dozen servers too.
> Logging into each box is a pain...  Maybe you can hook up with the
> NRH-up2date project:
>
> http://www.nrh-up2date.org/

My preference for command line and instant, admin run commands on
multiple machine has led me to find mrsh a useful tool.  It's tasty
when combined with yum (or up2date-nox).
http://www.unicom.com/sw/mrsh/

It's not been updated in years, but it's a simple and elegant shell
script, so it doesn't really need to be.  I recommend ssh and aliases.
My favorite alias:
$73mrsh -- yum install package
will install the package "package" to all machines listed in the
"73mrsh" command alias.
----
Jackie Meese, Systems Administrator
Institute for Distance and Distributed Learning, Va Tech
Phone: 231-3682                         http://www.iddl.vt.edu/
3027 Torgersen Hall                     Mail Code: 0445
I am, and always will be, an idiot.