Re: RH9 user - what should I do?

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:16:18 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:05:51 -0500, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> > >   baseurl=http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
> >
> > What is the best baseurl to use for
> >
> > [redhat-os]
> > name=Red Hat Linux $releasever ($basearch)
> > baseurl= ?
> >
> > I want to keep the base os as RH 9, not Fedora. Is there a yum repository for
> > the base RH 9?
> For instance, this mirror: http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/9/
>   baseurl=http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> I think you misunderstand a few things about Fedora Legacy, Fedora Core
> and Fedora.us.  The default baseurl in fedora.us' yum package points
> to a plain mirror of Red Hat Linux 9 (just that it is located on
> Hawaii, and you should find a more nearby one, unless you are
> located on Hawaii, too).

OK. Please correct me if I do not understand things:

name=Red Hat Linux $releasever ($basearch)

which basically gets me to

which, as you note, is located in Hawaii.

[For me then,

makes sense. BTW, the default config file has it listed as fedora/fedora.]

If I can ever connect to

the ftp.redhat.com site should contain basically the same files as seen at
download.fedora.us or mirros.kernel.org, i.e., the original RH 9 rpms.

BTW, a sentence or two on the doco at

explaining that the fedora/redhat site is just the original RH 9 might help
others in the future. A link to mirrors

might help too. The doco says to run yum update as root. Being the cautious
type about new things, it might be better to suggest running yum check-update
first to create the package list and see if something needs installing. Also,
some explanation as to why (exclude=kernel*) kernels are being excluded.

Uhm, why are the kernels being excluded?

Why is it when one does a yum list, all the mysql rpms are not listed even
though they are on the server (both at download.fedora.us and mirrors.kernel.org)?

 mysql-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                       23-Feb-2003 22:38  5.0M
 mysql-devel-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                 23-Feb-2003 22:38  566K
 mysql-server-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                23-Feb-2003 22:38  1.1M

Thanks for the help. As I learn I will try to help others with the basics as well.