apt or yum?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at smilehouse.com
Fri May 14 13:55:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:28:19AM +0100, WipeOut wrote:
> Markus Hakansson wrote:
>
> >Are there any arguments for which of these to chose?
> >As I understand it, yum has been chosen as 'the official'
> >up2date-replacement for Fedora Legacy (and Fedora Core), is that
> >correct?
> >Are the yum and apt repositories updated at the same time, or is one
> >the 'master' so the other might lag behind?
> >Personally, I like apt better for its speed but I feel that I don't
> >really know if yum has any technical advantages.
> >Could anybody shed any light on this?

> This has been discussed quite a lot with people defending their own
> choice quite strongly..
>
> I would say use which ever one you are comfortable with.. Personally I
> use YUM because I found it simple to use and it did what I needed, so
> I have never tried APT..
>
> Youe question is like many in the Linux and OSS world.. similar examples
> are

My answers which I believe also show another thing about this kind of questions:

> "Should I use Gnome or KDE?"
No.
> "Which Distro is best?"
Mu.
> "Should I > use Netscape, Mozilla or Konqueror?"
No.

> These all have the same answer, which ever you prefer..

Quite so. It is great to have freedom of choice, but it does complicate
things if there's no clear default and you haven't already become
familiar with any of the options somehow.

One thing that could be mentioned in these is that, AFAIK, yum is rpm
specific while apt-get is largely common with the dpkg version. This can
tip the choice either way, of course (unity and legacy opinoins).