Re: RH9 user - what should I do?

On Sat, 8 May 2004 20:16:09 +0200, Michael Schwendt <fedora wir-sind-cool org> wrote:

Let me see. My suggestion:

* Run: rpm --import http://www.fedora.us/FEDORA-GPG-KEY

* Get http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/yum-2.0.3-0.fdr.1.rh90.noarch.rpm

Install it with "rpm -Uvh yum-2.0.3-0.fdr.1.rh90.noarch.rpm"
Or install it directly with "rpm -ivh http://...."; of the network.
RPM can do that.

* Install the Fedora Legacy public key for verifying package signatures.
  rpm --import http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY

* Choose a mirror of Fedora Legacy for Red Hat Linux 9 from the website,
  e.g. modify /etc/yum.conf in the section that reads

  [redhat-updates]
  name=Red Hat Linux $releasever ($basearch) updates
  baseurl=
    http://download.fedora.us/...

  to use a different baseurl= such as:
 baseurl=http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/

* If you don't want any of the Fedora.us add-ons for Red Hat Linux 9,
disable the [fedora-stable] entry in the lower half of /etc/yum.conf.

* Then run "yum update" for the first time to fetch package headers. Note
there is a "yum" service which can download updates at night.

Many thanks - I followed your suggestions and it updated two packages which means everything is working correctly, I believe. I'd vote for having your mail above published as a guide on the website :)

regards,
Troed