State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Howard B Owen howen at cisco.com
Thu May 20 22:03:37 UTC 2004

There are very economical commercial patch services for legacy systems.
If it's one server, five bucks a month (six month minimum) will get you
Progeny Transition Service support. (http://transition.progeny.com) If
you are planning to upgrade after the spring quarter, it sounds like all
you would need would be sixty bucks.

That's another thing to consider when thinking about support by Fedora
Legacy for less popular releases. There are commercial services at very
reasonable prices that can take up the slack. Where it gets unreasonable
for an organization with limited resources is when there are hundreds of
servers. If the budget is there, Progenys price of $2500/month for
unlimited servers is pretty reasonable. But academic departments, or
medium to large organizations outside Europe/Asia/North America probably
can't even consider a quarter of that cost.

The point is, the more popular releases are more likely to be deployed
on a larger number of servers. Apart from the project resource issues,
concentrating on the releases with a greater installed base may provide
most of the value in places where money is tight.