State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

David Botsch dwb7 at ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu May 20 22:08:52 UTC 2004

So, what are some of these other services? We would certainly like to know.

We're one of the places where keeping all our stuff up at either Progeny's
$5/machine/month or their $2500/month unlimited is just too much money
(and they were absolutely unwilling to negotiate any type of academic rate).

For my home systems, I definitely might consider them, however.

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 03:03:37PM -0700, Howard B Owen wrote:
> There are very economical commercial patch services for legacy systems.
> If it's one server, five bucks a month (six month minimum) will get you
> Progeny Transition Service support. (http://transition.progeny.com) If
> you are planning to upgrade after the spring quarter, it sounds like all
> you would need would be sixty bucks.
>
> That's another thing to consider when thinking about support by Fedora
> Legacy for less popular releases. There are commercial services at very
> reasonable prices that can take up the slack. Where it gets unreasonable
> for an organization with limited resources is when there are hundreds of
> servers. If the budget is there, Progenys price of $2500/month for
> unlimited servers is pretty reasonable. But academic departments, or
> medium to large organizations outside Europe/Asia/North America probably
> can't even consider a quarter of that cost.
>
> The point is, the more popular releases are more likely to be deployed
> on a larger number of servers. Apart from the project resource issues,
> concentrating on the releases with a greater installed base may provide
> most of the value in places where money is tight.
>
> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 11:55, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> > > I run it on a server.
> >
> > I do, too. It provides Mailman, SquirrelMail, LDAP, NTP, and Squid
> > services for a few hundred users. I've got it slated for a summertime
> > upgrade, but it's a nonstarter to suggest bringing it down during the
> > academic year.
> >
> > --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu>
> >

> > --
> --
> Howard Owen    -  Linux Architect "Even if you are on the right
> IBM Global Services - Cisco Linux  track, you'll get run over if you
> howen at cisco.com   +1-408-853-1381  just sit there." - Will Rogers
>

> --

David William Botsch
Consultant/Advisor II