up2date package(s) available

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon May 24 18:01:37 UTC 2004

Due to having a few minutes free the other night, I've done a quick
tweak to up2date that should allow folks using RHL9 to have up2date
function as it does on FC1, using fedoralegacy.org yum/apt sources. To
say this was quick and dirty would be giving me a lot more credit than
is deserved.

The helpful folks at #fedora-legacy inform me that this is not a
priority for FL, which I understand. However, since there is probably an
audience (however small) for this tweak, I thought it was worthwhile to
at least tell Google about it here.

Most folks would probably simply use yum/apt either when they feel like
it, or in a nightly cron job. I suppose that this tweak, though, would
cover at least some combination of the following: (1) Linux newbies who
aren't into RPM building; (2) those who don't maintain a broadband
connection full-time, or are on segregated networks where they are still
running RHL 9 servers and/or workstations (as I do); and (3) those who
would like their rhn-applet to function as in FC1. Hopefully that comes
to a total of more than 1 or 2 people. :-)

rhnlib and rhn-applet are simply recompiled from the latest stable FC1
SRPMS, while up2date has a few simple patches to insure the Fedora
Legacy public key is available in addition to the Red Hat key. Of
course, it's up to users to be good netizens and replace the repo URLs
in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources with mirror sites.

This basically worksforme, but I would love people to try it out and
make suggestions, or provide po stuff for the couple messages I changed.
You may simply be able to install the rhnlib and rhn-applet packages
from FC1 updates on your RHL9 box; I haven't tried it. I realize the
fedora-legacy-list probably doesn't want any traffic on a non-official
package. Therefore, unless there's an objection, please direct comments
off-list.

BINARY:
http://paul.frields.org/rhnlib-1.4-1.noarch.rpm
http://paul.frields.org/rhn-applet-2.1.2-1.i386.rpm
http://paul.frields.org/up2date-4.1.21-3.1.i386.rpm
http://paul.frields.org/up2date-gnome-4.1.21-3.1.i386.rpm

SRPMS:
http://paul.frields.org/up2date-4.1.21-3.1.src.rpm

All signed by me; my GPG key is available, among other places, at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=paul%40frields.com&op=index
Fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE