yum problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 03:11:19 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 22:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>
>[snip]
>
>> Now folks, FC2 never to my knowledge had a kernel as old as
>> 2.2.14.
>
>The version I installed (from the distro ISOs) was 2.6.5-1.358
>I'd guess this was the earliest.
>
>[snip]
>
>> As nfs is something thats NEVER worked here, I'd like to try it.
>
>Worked fine for me out of the box, so I dunno.
>
>> So I've installed the original kernel but with a --justdb option,
>> and it appears to be working.
>
>Great!
>
>Mike

Now the 64k$ question is, will an NFS export work now?  Its getting
late on this side of the planet & I ran 18 bags of handicrete into a
footer hole earlier today, so I'm not as fresh as I might have been
70 years ago.

I've long since forgotten the syntax to setup an NFS share, the last
time sev3eral folks tried to be helpfull I couldn't get past some
sort of a no permission error.  Its still turned on in sysconfig, and
I get an error from NSF4 on booting, something about a missing RPC
MTAB, whatever the heck that is.  And its apparently not precious as
it doesn't show in the messages or dmesg files, so I'd have to take a
screen snapshot to record it.

So I'll essentally be starting from scratch.

Since the older nfsutils is now installed, I just ran a couple of
service nfs restarts, and this looks promising:
[root at coyote init.d]# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS4 idmapd: Error: RPC MTAB does not exist.
[root at coyote init.d]# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS4 idmapd: Error: RPC MTAB does not exist.

So now at least, with the older fc1 version installed, that some
progress has been made.  At least NFS is not taking a silent crap
now.  I just fixed the fstab line according to the manpage and
another restart was equally successfull. It was pointing to an iso
repository that no longer existed.  Now it does.  More tomorrow.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)