Identify vulnerabilities in Red Hat 7.2

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Fri Jun 10 14:28:37 UTC 2005

WBEL (White Box Enterprise Linux) is a free re-compile of the RHEL sources.
This should contain the costs, and give you an up-to-date kernel (relative to 7.2)

Also, CentOS (another project doing the same thing as WBEL for the same price)
is a good choice.  Either way you get a kernel current to some time this year, and
5 years of RH "support" (meaning when RH releases kernel patches, you can
grab and use those patches as you need).

Fedora Legacy dropped 7.2 for lack of public support, and has kept up on 7.3 and
9 (plus Fedora Core releases).

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> david at ombrepixel.com 06/10/05 05:03AM >>>
Hello,

My company use a self made linux distribution mainly based on a Red Hat 7.2.
Support is done by a small team. The support offered by the team is
new hardware support, specific software queries but no security updates.

Now, the company wants to use this distribution for internet servers. It's not
secure since the latests updates that comes with it are the fedoralegacy for Red Hat
7.2 (latest : 05/2004).

I think that we sould use a supported distribution for our linux servers connected
to internet : security updates available (RHEL or other). The company don't
really like the idea of using another linux distribution and ask me about the
"cost" of securing our distribution.

The first thing I want to do is to find out all the known vulnerabilities in the
Red Hat 7.2. Since 05/2004, no updates has been avalaible for this distribution.

Since you have good experience for supporting non-supported distribution. Can you
give me some clues about how I should proceed ?

I can look at all fedoralegacy updated for Red Hat 7.3 and try to figure out if each
vulnerability is relevent to Red Hat 7.2. But maybe I'll miss some vulnerabilties
that are in Red Hat 7.2 and NOT in Red Hat 7.3 ?

Thank you if you can give me any clue or idea.

David ROBERT.

--
http://www.ombrepixel.com/drobert/