how to get started with helping the project [...]

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 18:04:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 12:46 -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> I think if more rigorous guidelines and procedures are what you're
> looking for, clearly FL is not adequate for your needs and you should be
> looking elsewhere.

Is that the image/statement that FL really truly believes in?  If so,
put it up on the main page of the website.

> Who tests the kernels that come out of kernel.org?

kernel.org is source code that *may* make it into a distro.

> Who tests Debian's kernels?

A pretty well organized community.  Debian.org lists who does what, and
who is responsible for what.  There is clearly a defined and easily
identifiable process there.

> This is a community effort,

No it's not.  It's what 4 people, maybe 5 that really do stuff?
Shouldn't there be more?  If there is to be more, there needs to be more
structure and a better documented process, along with accountability.

> if you want more extensive testing, you'll have to do it yourself
> using your own set of guidelines and procedures.

Put that on the main website too.

-Jim P.