[FLSA-2005:2336] Updated kernel packages fix security issues

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 3 19:28:34 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> Some of my comments were probably overly harsh.  In an effort get
> something positive out of this discussion, let me continue with why it
> is difficult for me to contribute more.

I don't think it is that difficult to contribute more.  You just need
to find the right place and way to pariticipate.

> Let's take "mc" as an issue.

Okay, but that is just once case, and shouldn't stop you from trying to
help in other areas (web site, wiki, overview rewrite, answering questions
on the mailing list, etc).

> there are now some pkgs to d/l and test.  What to test?  Where is the
> details on what should be tested... go read CAN reports.   OK, now I

What kind of testing you do is up to you.  The basic testing is to see
if it installs and runs okay for you.

> think I know what was broke, where do I go to determine what was fixed
> so that I know what to test?   Oh well, I give up and just test the
> stuff that I use in mc.

That is sufficient.

>  Great, all works (afaik), sha1sum and post a
> VERIFY.  More days pass, more deep level comments about more mc issues
> needing resolution.  The result: all the time I spent was a waste.

No, it isn't.  You have at least verified that you didn't find any problems.
More importantly, had you found and reported problems, that would have been
of tremendous help.

But, you don't need to test pre-test RPMS.  You can wait for test RPMS.
Or you can not do testing at all, and help in other ways.

> The FL process is painful, difficult, and makes people question whether
> or not they even want to be involved.

That statement may be true if you go deep into the layer of patch/package
creation.  But if so, then don't go that deep into it.  We need plenty
of help outside of that area, which you may be better suited to help with.

--
Eric Rostetter