how to get started with helping the project [...]

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve guallar at easternrad.com
Thu Mar 3 21:00:43 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 15:36, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> So, why invest time and $$ in RH and/or Fedora if the phase-out process
> is not treated as sincerely as the roll-out?

This is up to everybody joining any community project. Everyone, in their own
way, will invest as much tima and as much money as they see fit.

And sincerity has nothing to do with this: everything is up-front to
everybody. Everybody has access to the same packages, everybody can join the
effort and help the community project. And it is spelled out clearly:
community effort.

As far as I know, I am not paying tons of money, in a yearly contract, to get
Fedora Legacy updates.

For example, whenever I have the need for a need-to-be-supported system, or
cannot-go-wrong system or my-bottom-will-burn-if-this-goes-down kind of
project, I get a support contract with Red Hat and I install RHEL.

For internal stuff, non-critical, testlab and such, the RHL 7.x down there get
Fedora Legacy updates.

> After all, the above goes counter to a lot of the comments expressed
> here today.  Notably the ones about "test it yourself" and "expecting
> anything else is unrealisticaly wrong."
>
> -Jim P.

I think not.

This ("test it yourself") is exactly  "the Community way" of doing things.

Do you need something? ("Do you have an itch?")

So you do it yourself ("you scratch your own itch"). In order to successfuly
complete your task, you ask for help to the community . And then, you inform
the community of your task's results, making your work available to everyone.

Regards,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve		Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
Systems and PACS Administration  http://www.easternrad.com